Friday, August 5, 2011

Learning something new

For the past 12 years or so I have wanted to learn how to bead on a loom. I have never done such a thing before. About 9 years ago my Aunt gave me a bead loom. I could not figure out how to start it myself with just the instructions. I often am a visual learner. So for me trying too just read directions was not helping me.

My lovely neighbor uses a loom and knows how to do it so I asked her if she would show me how. She kindly agreed and we had a lovely visit over an iced mocha and some beads. I sat and watched her thread the loom, which honestly still looks a bit daunting and I will have her sit and watch me the next time I do it (which will likely be in the next day or so.) so that I can be sure that I got it right. I started my first project late in the afternoon, around 3pm. I took a break around dinner time and started back up a little after 9pm by midnight I was finished with the whole thing.

So without further ado here are some pictures of my latest creation.




The finished product will be sewn to a piece of leather and then I will use it to pull my hair up. As it sits now it measures 1inch wide by 3 3/4" long.

I am totally in love with this new craft and am looking forward to seeing what other lovely things I can create with this new medium.

I did not imagine that I could create something so quickly after learning it. I have to wait until this evening until my neighbor gets home to take it off the loom because I have no idea how to do that and do not want to mess up my beautiful work, but I am itching to start something else!

What new things have YOU learned lately?

2 comments:

  1. OMG!! That is amazing!!! What a fun new hobby. You are an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am so excited to create something new and beautiful with this new craft.

    ReplyDelete