Monday, February 14, 2011

The Power of Words

Over the last several years I have come to realize that words have far more power then we tend to give them credit for.

The childhood song "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" sticks in my mind. I distinctly remember my mom telling me this repeatedly from about the time I was 6 or 7. I used to be extremely sensitive as a child and my family growing up used to find it fun to tease me.

I understand my mom wanted me to learn not to allow their words to hurt me. The truth is words can hurt. They can change who we are. They are how people communicate with others. Words are the way we understand what others think of us. Words are what we use to define who we are. Words have power.

I have heard more parents lately that use words as daggers to their children's hearts. I do not understand it. I do not understand how people can think they are helping their children learn anything in life by simply insulting their children. Do parents really believe if they call their child names in front of other people that this will make the child then behave differently? Does manipulating children into a certain behavior prove that your child is better?

My hope for today, since it is Valentines day, is that more people become aware of the words they use each and every day. That the words of love spoken today are not the only time they are spoken. Words have power and we should learn to use them in ways that show our intent. Hold your tongue when you are angry. analyze why you are angry. Learn to deal with your own hurt feelings and realize that you are not alone in your hurt, frustration, and anger. when raising your children raise them with kind words and remember that each negative thing you say to them, or within their hearing are ingrained into their brains forever. The feelings those words brought up will forever be linked to those words.

Words are the most powerful weapons we have against raising happy healthy adults. They are used to belittle someone or build them up.

Let today be the day that your words speak the truth about love to all the people around you, but don't stop at today, use each and everyday as your chance to speak the words of love to all the people you love in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment