Sunday, February 20, 2011

Daytona 500

I am a race fan. I have been a fan since I was a little girl. I remember sitting with my parents watching cars speed past with the sound cranked up. I have never been to a race and it is a dream of mine.

Since today is the first day of the races I thought it would be fun to go into some history and facts of how nascar was born.

If you are already a nascar fan then you already know that the sport was born in the south. During prohibition men with fast cars would race through the back-roads of the south to deliver moonshine and other liquor often running from the law. They would modify their cars to make them faster then the cops and they knew their area well enough to zip past them in a spray of gravel.

Nascar recently opened a hall of fame in honor of some of the greatest drivers in nascar history. You can check out thehall of fame, its inductees and learn more about those greats who have come before.

The last death at Daytona happened 10 years ago with the death of racing legend Dale Earnhardt Sr. You either loved him or loved to hate him. He was a no nonsense kind of driver who made no apologies for the way he raced on the track. He died on the last lap with an innocent looking crash. His accident created a whole new push by nascar to make the cars safer, make the walls safer and included the introduction of the Haans device.

One of the things I love about Nascar, the drivers and families involved in nascar is the fact that they undeniably support our military. Before every race there is a singing of the national anthem, a prayer, and at least a few people publicly speaking about supporting our troops over seas and honoring them.

But make no mistake its the roar of the engines that thrills me.

No comments:

Post a Comment