My family and I feel very strongly that today is no holiday, should not be celebrated and is in fact a criminals holiday. I am working to set the record straight for some people who may not know the difference.
These are in no particular order and I will furnish links for as much of the information as I can to verify said facts.
1. Columbus did not set foot in what is now known as The United States. In 1492 Columbus discovered the Bahama's. It is unknown precisely what island he landed on, only that the island was named San Salvador by him although the native people of the island had a different name for it. 90-95% of the population he came in contact died within months of his contact. verify here
2. Columbus believed that he had discovered a new route to Asia until he died.
3. Columbus enslaved the native people and returned them to Spain as 'proof' that he made it to Asia. verify here
4. Columbus was arrested on charges of tyranny. Verify here
5. Columbus was a liar. He made up stories of the Native people in order to validate his capture and enslavement of the Native people. " While Columbus once referred to the Taino Indians as cannibals, a story made up by Columbus - which is to this day still taught in some US schools - to help justify his slaughter and enslavement of these people. He wrote to the Spanish monarchs in 1493: "It is possible, with the name of the Holy Trinity, to sell all the slaves which it is possible to sell Here there are so many of these slaves, and also brazilwood, that although they are living things they are as good as gold" Verify here
6. Columbus was a rapist who encouraged his men to take what they wanted from the enslaved Taino Natives as well. verify here
7. Columbus was a thief. He stole what he wanted from the Native people. verify here
8. Columbus was a bruit who would disfigure Native people if they simply did not give up what he asked for. verify here
9. Columbus was a racist. You can verify it from the last two links.
10. Columbus was a pedophile. "selling girls as young as 9-10 into sexual slavery" verify here
These are my reasons for not honoring this man on this day in America. My family is of Native heritage and this alone is enough to not celebrate this day as a holiday. These 10 reasons only fuel the fact that he is no hero.
One of the best books we have found in our organic learning adventures is Lies my teacher told me. Please do yourself a favor and read this book. It is a brilliantly written book that exposes the truth of many historical facts we were taught in school.
I would also like to take a moment to do some honor to my Canadian friends. Today is Canadian Thanksgiving. Canadian Thanksgiving began in 1959. I am thankful for my Canadian friends, they are such friendly people. :)