Friday, July 20, 2012

Recycling Old Towels


I am in desperate need of dog beds! We took out the carpet that was stained, smelly and wouldn't come clean in our rental. I painted the floor just to add a little protection. The landlord doesn't want to put new carpet in with pets being allowed, so I am on the hunt for some other free alternatives. I have a few idea's that involve paint, stencils and free upcycled mat's... But in the mean time my dog's are constantly on the prowl for somewhere softer to lay.

So I thought about the many falling apart old towels I have...

Then the thought hit me...

Why not make a rug out of them!

Perfect for the dog's to curl up on, and I can still toss them in the washer to clean them without it being a major deal!

I have two different idea's, One is a braided rug and the other is a weaved rug.

So I am working on them today and will come back to post pictures of the finished projects!

*Stay Tuned for the Edit and picture upload*

5 comments:

  1. Sounds fascinating! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh! Can't wait to see the pics and hopefully a tutorial . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im still working on them! My sewing machine can't handle sewing through the fabric so instead I am having to hand sew them together & let me just say this part does not go as quickly as I had hoped! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always thought about making rag rugs out of clothes and things we donate. Evan is wanting a rug for his room now.... hmmm..... sounds like it may be a good little project for him.

    Another idea I've used in the past is carpet samples. Carpet stores will give you their old samples. All you need to put them together is some duct tape (if you aren't picky), and a utility knife. If you want a more professional look, you can buy the tape and the iron to heat the scraps together. I've done both. I don't have my carpet iron anymore, but there are times I wished I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on using some old sheets for a rag rug but I know that will be easier to sew on my machine! I am trying to get it finished but my thumb can only handle working for so long.

      Delete