Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Roasted Root Veggie Soup

In honor of fall I am sharing my favorite fall soup. There are so many lovely roots available this time of the year. I love to make soups and stews out of them.

Ingredients:
Butternut squash
Carrots
Potatoes
Rutabegas
Parsnips
Onion
Celery
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
veggie or chicken broth
sprig of rosemary


Directions:
Peel the squash and the rutabegas. Dice all roots place in large baking dish season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Be sure to toss the veggies around to coat in the olive oil. The amount of oil I use depends on the amount of veggies, you only need enough to coat the veggies. Bake in the oven for 20 -35 minutes at 400*. If there is any oil in the bottom of the roasting pan after the veggies are done I pour this flavored oil into my dutch oven, dice up the onion and celery, then saute it until they are soft and translucent. Pour the roasted veggies into the pot with enough broth to cover 1 inch over the veggies, place rosemary on top. Simmer for 45 minutes to allow flavors to come together. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy.

*I will update with pictures tonight since this is today's meal*

3 comments:

  1. This sound absolutely delish, Crystal! I am adding it to my recipes to try when fall actually arrives here in the desert. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope you all love it as much as I do. :) Tonight's dinner is a redux of this one. I added a beef roast to it tonight so it turned into beef stew with roasted root veggies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasted veggies sound so good. And I've never tried growing or cooking rutabagas. I'll look for them at the store.

    ReplyDelete