Friday, March 11, 2011

O my word... Chicken Chili Verde

One of my favorite Mexican food dishes is Chili Verde. I love the tangy flavors of the tomatillo. A few years ago I discovered that I am allergic to pork. When ever I eat pork I end up with the worst stomach aches and hives. So I stopped eating all pork. This meant no more Chili Verde for me...

Then one day the light bulb above my head went off...

Why not use Chicken Thighs!!?

So off to the grocery store I went...

Normally I do not buy canned products. I try to only purchase in season fruits and veggies, but I really wanted to try out this new recipe! So I went ahead and bought a couple of the giant cans of tomatillo's in the mexican food isle of my local grocery store.

I also bought 1 family size package of chicken thighs. You must go with dark meat on this because the breast will just dry out far to much.

in the crockpot went the chicken and the two cans of tomatillo's. I let this cook for about 4 hours then went in and pulled the chicken bones out. Then shredded up the chicken and we dished it up about a half hour later. It turned out pretty good... but being that I am a stickler for fresh when I can get it... It is currently Tomatillo season in Northern California. When I was in the grocery store the other day there was a large bin FILLED with them. I just couldnt help myself I HAD to have from scratch home made Chicken Chili Verde...

Without further ado
Here are some pictures and the recipe.

Crystals Chicken Chili Verde (fresh)
2 lbs fresh tomatillo's
2 lbs chicken thighs (remove the skin)
1 medium onion
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 cup water

dump it into the crock pot for 4 hours on high then remove chicken bones and shred chicken thighs up. allow to sit for another half hour serve with Spanish rice, black beans, cheese and tortilla's.

For those of you who have never seen a fresh tomatillo here is what they look like still in their skins


I peel the skins off and keep them in a bowl of water because they have a tacky film on them. This is what they look like floating.



They look a bit like a green tomato on the outside, but not on the inside.



The crock pot was loaded down and ready to simmer.



This is the final product after cooking for 5 hours. (I love crock pot cooking, because if I can't get to it as soon as it is done it stays good until I can get to it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment